Windows 7 has its own unique look, but it may not be to everyone's liking. Fortunately, the developers have made sure that everyone can change the individual design elements of the system for themselves. This article will show you how to change the appearance of folders in Windows 7. Two methods will be presented. At the end, instructions are provided on how to return everything to its original state in case of an unsuccessful change.
How to change folder view in Windows 7
As already mentioned, there will be two ways. Looking ahead, we note that the first method involves the use of intrasystem tools. This means that you do not have to install any third-party applications in Windows 7. The second method is completely opposite. Its essence lies in the use of a special program.
Method 1: using regular Windows tools
Now let's move ondirectly to the first method, how to change the appearance of folders in Windows 7. If you look at their standard design, you will notice that they consist of two elements: the folder itself and the files attached to it. Accordingly, you can change each individually.
So, to change the graphical display of attachments, do the following:
- Start "Explorer" and go to any directory where there are folders.
- Right click on this item, select "Properties" from the menu that appears.
- In the appeared window of the same name, go to the "Settings" tab.
- In the block with the subheading "Folder images" click on the "Choose file" button.
- A file manager window will appear, in which you need to go to the directory with a pre-prepared image and select it.
- After that, click on "Apply".
Immediately you can see how the nesting of all folders in the operating system will change. But what if you want to change the look of the folder itself, not just the attachments. This is done in the same window:
- In the block with the subheading "Folder Icons" click on the "Change Icon" button.
- As with attachments, a file manager window will appear. In it, you just need to go to the directory with the image, select it as the folder display.
- After that, click on "Apply".
Now all folders in the systemdisplayed as the selected image. This was the first way to change the look of folders in Windows 7, let's move on to the second.
Method 2: using the program
There is a special program for changing directories in the system, it's called IconPackager. Let's go straight to the principle of operation:
- Launch the application and go to the "Icons and Cursors" tab.
- Then go to the "Folders" subcategory.
- A list of all folder items will appear. Select the one you want to change and double-click on it.
- The "Change icon" window will appear, in which you need to select an image to replace. To do this, double-click on it with the mouse.
- It remains to click at the top of the "Apply" window.
This is the second way to change the look of folders in Windows 7. As you can see, both of the above are quite simple and do not require special knowledge of computer skills.
How to change folder view in Windows 7 to default
What to do if you change the look of folders, but in the end you are not satisfied? Now it will be told how to change the folder view in Windows 7 to standard settings:
- Start IconPackager.
- Go to the "Icons and Cursors" tab and then to the "Folders" section.
- Select the item you want to restore to its original state.
- On the sidebar, click the "Restore Icon" button, select "Restore bydefault".
After that, the program can be closed. Now all folders in the operating system have become standard.