Most users of the Windows operating system consider the Internet Explorer browser far from the best of its kind. Moreover, it becomes completely faded against the background of competitors. In view of this, users often have the question of how to disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7 and other versions of this system. More about this in the article.
How to completely disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7
It should be said right away that there are two ways to complete the task. For example, command line adherents can do everything with a special command. Other users will find it more convenient to use a special utility with a graphical interface. By the way, if you want to know how to disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7 through the registry, then there will be no answer. This is because this option is not available in this system component. In the system registry, you can only configure the browser.
Method 1: through the control panel
Let's first look at how to disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7 using a GUI utility. This turns out to be much easier for the vast majority of users.
All actions will be performed in a special section of the control panel, so let's open it first. Here is what the sequence of actions should be:
- Open the start menu. To do this, click on the corresponding icon in the lower left corner of the desktop.
- In the menu that appears on the sidebar on the right, click on the "Control Panel" button.
- The window of the same name will open, in which you need to select the "Programs and Features" item. If it is not there, then select "Uninstall a program".
- A window will open where you can uninstall the program from your computer. But this is not necessary. Click on the link "Enable / disable components" - it is located on the sidebar on the left.
- A window will appear with a list of operating system components. Find Internet Explorer and uncheck it.
- A warning window will appear, in which you must click the "Yes" button.
It remains only to wait for the operation to complete and restart the computer.
This was the first way to disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7.
Method 2: via command line
Not every user is used to using the command line, howeverit is through it that you can perform absolutely any action in the system, including turning off the standard browser. But first, let's figure out how to run this command line:
- Open the "Run" window. To do this, press the combination Win + R on your keyboard.
- A window will appear in the lower left corner of the screen. In it you need to enter a command to run the desired utility - cmd.
- To launch the specified item, click the "OK" button.
The same command line window will open. It requires only one command to be entered. Copy and paste the following text:
dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64
As in the case of the previous method, this will be followed by the process of performing the operation. You must wait for it to complete, and then restart your computer. By the way, if in the future you want to enable the browser from Microsoft, you need to run another command:
dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64
Now you know two ways to disable Internet Explorer in Windows 7, but which one to use is up to you.
We hope that the article was useful and you were able to cope with the task.