Even in the eyes of the Microsoft executives themselves, Windows Vista was a failure. For this reason, almost immediately the development team set about creating the famous seventh version. This article is an advisor for moving to Windows 7. In it, you can familiarize yourself with all the steps for updating your computer's operating system.
How to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7
In fact, there is no special algorithm of actions, the developers did not provide high-quality software for updating the operating system to a new version. That is why we will consider a method that involves using a bootable USB flash drive with the image of the desired Windows.
All instructions will be divided into stages to facilitate the perception of information. At the end of each step, Windows Vista will be upgraded to the seventhversion.
It is paramount to discuss everything necessary to complete the task. So, you definitely need to have a USB drive. The required volume depends directly on the size of the operating system image. Often 4 gigabytes is enough, but it's better to play it safe and prepare an eight gigabyte flash drive.
Let's go directly to the operating system. We need her image, which can be easily downloaded on the Internet. If you have a licensed disc with Windows 7, then use it.
You will also need a program to write the boot image to a USB flash drive. This article will use Rufus, which can be downloaded for free from the official website. The application does not require installation, so just upload the file to any folder and proceed to the next step.
Write boot image
Continuing the instructions on how to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, let's move on to the main step - creating a boot drive. The fact is that if the system image is written incorrectly, then you will not be able to install the new Windows. Therefore, carefully follow the instructions:
- Download the image of the operating system, insert the USB flash drive into your computer and run the Rufus program.
- After that, the application must select the inserted drive. This is done in the very first drop-down list.
- Partition scheme, target system, file system and cluster size do not need to be changed.
- FromSelect "ISO" from the "Load Method" drop-down list, then click the "Select" button.
- A file manager window will appear, in which you need to open the directory with the Windows 7 boot image and double-click on it.
- If you wish, you can change the name of the flash drive by entering it in the "New volume label" line.
After completing all the above instructions, it remains to press the "Start" button, after which the process of writing the image to the USB device will begin. Wait for the completion - when "Done" appears - and click the "Close" button. The second stage of the instruction on how to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 can be considered complete. Now you can move on to the third.
Launching Windows 7 installer latest version
After completing the above steps, you need to start the computer from the created bootable USB flash drive. Unfortunately, this is done differently on each computer. The main thing is to find out the key that you need to press when you start the computer in order to get into the Boot Menu. Often it is written on the very start screen, somewhere in its lower part. It can be F8, F9, F10 or F12. In extreme cases, you can open the desired menu, as they say, "at random".
Once in the Boot Menu, you need to select a USB flash drive to boot from it. This is done using the arrows on the keyboard and the Enter key.
If you do everything right, the Windows 7 boot screen will appear on the monitor. Wait until all the necessaryfiles will be picked up and a welcome window will appear. It will prompt you to select the language of the operating system. The default is often Russian, but you can change it if you wish.
It remains only to click on the "Next" button, and the last step of the guide will begin, how to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7.
After doing everything that was said earlier, you will be taken to the Microsoft operating system installer. There should be a big "Install" button in front of you. Naturally, if you have chosen Russian before. You need to click on it. Then do the following:
- In the window with the license agreement, you need to read the text and, if all the conditions are approved, check the box "I accept the license terms". It is worth noting: if this is not done, then further installation will be unavailable. Then click the "Next" button.
- A window will appear with a choice of installation type. Since we are going to update our system, we need to select the appropriate "Update" item. If you are familiar with disk partitioning, you can perform all the settings manually by selecting the "Full installation" item.
- The process of checking the compatibility of the new operating system with the computer will start. Wait for it to finish.
- As a result, the result of the scan will be presented. Often it will contain a list of programs that canwork incorrectly after the update. In any case, they can be reinstalled later. Read the report, then click "Close".
In fact, these were all the actions that preceded the start of the update. You will see the installation step on the screen. All that remains to be done is to wait for them to complete.
It is worth noting that upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 is free, the main thing is to find the appropriate image of the operating system on the Internet. We hope the article was useful for you and you were able to upgrade your computer to the seventh version of Windows. After successful installation, the flash drive can be formatted and used like a normal one.