Since there are enough potentially dangerous sites on the Internet, Microsoft Corporation answers the question of how to install parental control on a computer in various operating systems. It is proposed to activate special external software (software) or use the built-in functions of Windows.
Overview of parental controls
To help ensure the computer security of children, both specially designed software and operating system tools can help. If you have a question about how to set parental controls on windows 7, you should carefully study the material. After all, this system is best suited for solving such a problem. However, XP and "10" will also help in this situation.
With the development of technology, parents have the opportunity to block access:
- kgames and programs;
- to some web resources;
- to download and install unwanted software.
To do this, the parents must have an account with administrator rights, the child must have a regular one.
Parental control through Windows XP
If a child uses Internet Explorer, it will be useful for parents to learn how to install parental controls on a computer in a specific (outdated) system. To restrict access, you will need to configure Content Advisor. To use it, you need to follow a series of steps:
- Go the path "Service" - "Properties".
- A dialog box will appear, select the Content tab and click Enable.
- Opens the Access Restriction window. When the properties window appears, use the sliders to specify the desired security level.
- Function "Allowed Sites". Here you need to manually specify the Internet resources that can be visited and which cannot.
- In conclusion, parents set a password so that none of the children can change the settings. You can find this feature on the General tab. To make changes to "Access Restriction", you need to use a password.
If a child uses other software, then the question is how to set parental control on a browser other than Internet Explorer. We need to find out exactly whatenjoyed by children when visiting the web and find similar settings.
Parental control through Windows 7
A modern and established operating system offers more features than XP and answers the question of how to set up parental controls on a computer.
- To do this, you need to go through the path "Start" - "Control Panel" - "Parental Control". If there are several accounts on the computer and the child has his own, you need to select it. If the profile is the only one, then you should create a new one with restrictions.
- A new account is being created with a password and a different name. Total: two profiles in the operating system. One is for parents with an access password. The other is for a child with a blockage.
- To make changes, you need to go to the profile with parental control. In the window that opens, you can set the time for entering the operating system, or you can make a work schedule. There are restrictions on entering games and online resources.
- If a child tries to enter a certain program or game, a notification will appear on the desktop about the blocking of the selected resource.
Experts remind you that after manipulations with a guest profile, it must be deleted. Since the restrictions imposed do not apply to him.
Windows 10 parental controls
In this operating system, beginners will have to tinker a bit. If you have a question, how to set the parentcontrol Windows 10, you need to go to the Microsoft website or study additional literature. The algorithm of the administrator's actions is as follows:
- Go the path "Start" - "User accounts" - "Family and other users".
- Then you need to return to the previous tab and click "Manage Family Settings".
- Opens an additional window in the browser, where manipulations are performed to block access.
For parents, this feature will be useful because:
- allows you to view all recent activities and statistics on the work of the child at the computer;
- on the "Web browsing" tab, the administrator sets or removes restrictions on the ability to access the network and view certain resources;
- in the "Applications and games" section, access to entertainment or other software installed on the computer is blocked;
- "Work Timer" allows you to set up your child's PC schedule.
Parental control via software
Experts insist on paying attention to the SkyDNS project, which is a powerful shield that protects your computer from potentially dangerous sites. After registering on the site, both children and parents can visit various web resources without fear. The blacklist of the project includes Internet resources with dubious content. At the same time, access to the "correct" data is not limited. Due to the fact that developers are constantlyupdate the project, there are no overlays. SkyDNS is a free project that will answer the question of how to install Internet parental control on a computer without unnecessary delay.
If the PC administrator does not want to download additional software, then he has the right to use the capabilities of almost any antivirus.
There are specially designed applications for setting parental controls:
- "Cybermother". Distributed free of charge. Parents can control the time spent by the child at the computer. However, the program does not allow filtering the content of web resources. "Cybermama" is able to adjust the time of breaks and their frequency. The program also allows you to block access to applications from the black list or open the possibility of working with authorized software.
- KidsControl. Distributed free of charge. The peculiarity of the program is that when you try to access the Internet at an unspecified time or visit a prohibited web page, the resource is not loaded. At the same time, KidsControl does not give out its presence. Only the notification "Server not found" appears.
- Time Boss. Distributed free of charge. By the principle of action, it is similar to the standard tools of the operating system. Thanks to this program, parents can set the login time for the account and the Internet, block or allow access to certain applications.
It is important to remember that there are a great many such restrictive means. Allthey have advantages and disadvantages, so you should choose according to the preferences of the parents and the functions they perform.
The question arose: how to set parental control in YouTube. Solution: choose one of the suggested options.
- Baby lock option. Sign up for video hosting. Go down to the so-called "footer" of the page (at the very bottom) and click "Security". An additional menu will appear in which you need to click on the drop-down list and select the “On” function. You can disable safe mode by performing the reverse sequence of actions.
- Option for blocking for older kids. You need to follow the steps above and click "Fix safe mode in this browser." Next, you need to enter the password for your video hosting account. To remove the lock, you must re-enter the code. The access restriction is not removed if you log out of your Youtube account. An added bonus is the security of Google searches.
However, experts warn that such manipulations do not give a 100% guarantee. Filtering will be based on the opinions of other users who have indicated the video as material with inappropriate content.
Parental controls for iPhone
Since a smartphone in the hands of even a junior high school student is not uncommon, but rather a necessity, the question arises of how to set parental control on the Internet in iOS. iPhone providesusers a large selection of restrictions without downloading individual products.
So, the settings on the device will help to prohibit:
- Take pictures and videos.
- Install or uninstall apps.
- View content and download content from specific sites.
- Transmit geolocation data.
- Share audio, photo, video, calendar and reminders.
- Make purchases from the iTunes Store and iBooks Store.
To do this, you need to perform the following manipulations:
- Go through the path "Settings" - "General" - "Restrictions".
- Enable only apps and features that are free for children to access.
- After activating the restrictions, you need to enter and remember the password.
Parental controls for Android
What if you need to know how to set parental controls on Samsung or other brands of smartphones with the Android operating system? The problem is solved using Google Play, which has a built-in function to restrict access to inappropriate content on the network. It must be remembered that the proposed option may not work on all devices, since the versions of the operating system differ for everyone.
Google Play allows you to limit the following features:
- filter apps;
- restrict viewing and downloadingcontent according to the age limit;
- offer young user to download content according to age;
- restrict online shopping.
To use the function, you need to follow a few steps:
- Go the way Google Play - "Settings" - "Parental Control".
- Activate restrictions.
- Create and remember a password.
How to remove parental controls?
To do this, you need to delete or edit the created accounts that were covered by this function. If additional software is involved, then changes are made specifically in it.
A few tips for parents
It is important to know not only how to install parental controls on your computer, but also how to completely protect your child.
- Please understand that no app is 100% guaranteed.
- The limitations of the default operating system settings are not considered to be the most effective.
- You can use several tools, such as a reliable antivirus and standard Windows features.
And finally, solving the problem using Google Chrome:
- Go to your browser profile and select "Manage settings" - "Settings".
- In the column "Users" add a new account.
- When a window with avatars appears, select a picture for your child.
- Check the item "View sites opened by this user and control …".
- Press "Add".
- Thanks to the work done, a shortcut to access the Internet appears on the desktop, but the child will not be able to visit resources with obscene content.