Virus or system failure? In this article, we will look at the main reasons why extensions do not open in Google Chrome and find out how to fix this problem.
Virus infection of the browser
The most common cause is a virus. The problem with a browser virus infection is that when extensions do not open in Google Chrome, the internal anti-virus extension does not open with them. You have to clean the software manually. Signs of a virus: intrusive advertising, self-opening sites.
How to fix?
If the reason why Google Chrome extensions are not opening is a virus, do the following:
- click on the "Menu" tab, select "Settings-Extensions";
- you will see a list of programs, view it for extensions you have not installed;
- find suspicious software (may be "hiding" under an innocent name, such as "Security module");
- disable and remove the extension causing the problem;
- restart your browser.
If the first method did not work, follow these instructions:
- open "Task Manager" for the browser with the key combination Shift + Esc (do not confuse with the usual "Manager", which is opened with the combination Ctrl + "Image" + Del);
- end the processes of extensions you have not installed, or the processes of all running extensions if you are not sure which one is causing the problem;
- go to the "Extensions" tab or type in the address bar chrome://extensions/;
- remove suspicious extensions, if the virus is difficult to find, remove all equally installed extensions;
- restart your browser.
If nothing opens at all
The most radical solution is to remove Google Chrome itself. With it, both a potential virus and a possible system failure will be removed. To avoid losing information, first export your bookmarks and synchronize your Google account with your browser. Also, check your computer completely with anti-virus software.
If this does not help, seek help in treating your computer to specialists. Help of this kind is provided free of charge on the Cyberforum and Virusinfo forums. Create a topic in the appropriate section with a detailed description of the problem and wait for a response. Next, follow the steps that you will be told to perform on the forums. Usually this is installing utilities to check the computer and creating logs(reports) on verification. These logs are sent to a specialist who, based on the information provided, tells how to solve the problem.
Systemic reasons for extensions not opening in Google Chrome are usually framework related.
A framework is a framework that makes installed programs work. On Windows OS, this is the Microsoft. NET Framework. It has different versions. The wrong version of the framework can interfere with the work of programs, including browsers. Go to the official Microsoft website and install the latest version of. NET (download and install like a regular.exe program).
Google Chrome extensions do not open due to a virus - a common problem that occurs due to user neglect of security rules. That's why it affects not only the "Google" browser, but also Opera, Mozzilla, etc. Therefore, in addition to "cure" Chrome, pay attention to other installed web browsers - they may need to be reinstalled or also cleaned.