We deal with "Word" almost every day. It helps us at work (print a contract, write a letter), in our studies (write a term paper or essay) and in everyday life. We often use it to write notes or read a book.
If in the case of notes, pagination is not of fundamental importance, then in other circumstances it makes our work easier and helps us navigate the content of the document.
Procedure of actions
Pagination in "Word" is very simple, you just need to follow a certain algorithm. Let's consider in more detail the sequence of actions when creating numbering.
1. In order for page numbering to appear in your file, you must click on the "Insert" tab and select "Page Number" in the menu that appears.
2. After that, in the dropdownwindow, we will need to select the location of the future numbering: at the top, bottom or on the margins of the page, as well as in the center or along the edges.
3. After we select one of the presented options by pressing the left mouse button, we will have a numbering.
In addition to the location of the numbering on the page, "Word" provides the ability to select the desired numbering format. In order to get to the menu with the ability to format page numbers, you need to open the "Insert" tab, click on the "Page Number" button and in the drop-down menu click on the line "Format page numbers …"
The window that appears will prompt you to select the format of the number: it can be both numbers and Latin capital or capital letters. In addition, at the bottom of the window, you can choose which page to start numbering from (from the 1st, from the 3rd or any other).
Special number for the first page
There are times when there is no need to use numbers sequentially for page numbering in Word. For example, term papers typically require the page number to be omitted from the title page. Also, in some cases, you may need different numbering for even and odd pages.
In order to assign an individual number to the first page in a document or remove it altogether, you need to number the entire file, and thendouble click the left mouse button on the page number. The "Designer" tab will immediately appear on top, the text of the document will turn gray, and we will have the opportunity to work with the so-called headers and footers.
In order to change the numbering of the first sheet in the document, click on the line "Special header and footer for the first page". Immediately after this action, the page number on the first sheet will disappear. If you do not need it, then double-click on the main text, and the "Designer" tab will disappear. If you need an individual number for the first sheet - write the desired number manually.
Numbering from page 4
Sometimes pagination should start not even from the second sheet, but from the third or fourth. This numbering is usually used when binding books. How to make pagination in this case? For example, let's number from the 4th page.
The essence of the process is to exclude the first, in our case 3 pages, from continuous numbering, and number the rest to the end of the document. Let's take a closer look at the process.
- First, we need to place the mouse cursor after the last line at the bottom of the first sheet.
- After that, select the "Page Layout" tab, then "Breaks" and in the pop-up window click on the "Next Page" item. This will allow us to start a new section from a new page.
The samesteps must be performed for the second and third pages of our document.
- If the actions are performed correctly, then the symbols "Section break" should appear at the bottom of the page, which will not be printed. They can be seen, there is an enable display of formatting marks. You can do this by clicking on the ¶ button in the "Home" tab.
- After all our first 3 pages belong to separate sections, we can start pagination. Click on the "Insert" tab and select the "Page Numbers" button, place the numbers where it suits you.
- Since in the described case the numbering starts from the fourth page, we use the "Format page numbers" button and set "Start at 4".
- Now we need to remove the numbers from the first three pages, to do this, click on the number on the first page and after the "Designer" tab appears, check the box next to the line "Special header for the first page". After these steps, the number on the first page will disappear.
- It remains to do the same with the other two pages and save the changes in the document.
Don't worry if you can't see it all the way, it happens when the gap is too low.
If for some reason you no longer need numbering or you get confused and want to start over, you canremove page numbering in Word. How to do it? To do this, you just need to go to the "Insert" tab, click on the "Page Number" button, and then click on "Delete Page Numbers" in the pop-up menu. As a result of these actions, all numbers on the page will be deleted.