It is useful for a modern user to learn how to reset BIOS on a laptop. In simple words, BIOS is a basic input and output system. It is a set of programs that are necessary to work with laptop hardware. This system is software.
What is this
Resetting BIOS settings on a laptop is an important step that allows you to change individual parameters of the device. The BIOS is a complex of chips. With their help, you can configure individual parts of the system unit. The BIOS is located on the motherboard and is part of the software. It is the software that is responsible for the operation of all components of the laptop. BIOS prepares the system for inclusion, configures the equipment. This software is also called Setup. Manufacturers write it on a chip and install it on the board.
Initially, the BIOS was needed to service disk drives, a monitor, a computer. Today, it performs many more tasks, including finding the desired partition and sector on the drive, settingsystem loader. In modern laptop models, manufacturers are increasingly using the new EFI interface instead of the BIOS. His scheme has great potential. For example, routines are now embedded between the operating system and the drive.
Resetting the BIOS on a laptop often becomes a necessity. But before doing it, it is important to understand what functions the software performs.
- BIOS starts the laptop and tests its operation. After the user turns on the device, the firmware is loaded first. It checks and adjusts the hardware. If the BIOS finds problems, it notifies the user.
- Sets launch options. After turning on the laptop, the BIOS adjusts the settings that affect the operation of the entire system.
- Stores data about the settings and other characteristics of the laptop.
- Provides access to various devices.
- Sets the system time.
- Turns devices on and off.
- Prepare the laptop to boot the operating system.
How to work
In order to reset the BIOS on a laptop, you need to understand how to work with it. If you want to get into its settings, simultaneously hold down the F11 and Delete keys on your keyboard. Recalling the settings depends on the motherboard. The software is controlled by the ESC (exit), Enter (entry to the settings or section) buttons. Arrows on the keyboard help you navigate, with their help it is easy to select the desired parameters. If awant to reset to factory settings, press F9. The F10 key will save changes and exit the menu.
How to reset BIOS to factory settings on a laptop? This is quite simple to implement, especially for advanced users. It is recommended to do it only if the laptop does not work well. The peculiarity is that for many brands that produce portable computers, it is carried out in different ways. When changing settings, consider the model and manufacturer. Reset must be carried out after the laptop is completely turned off. At this point, all devices, including the power supply, must be disconnected from the laptop. There are several ways to reset the BIOS.
- Jumper. Locate the jumper between the two pins on the board, pull it out, put it between the second and third pin for fifteen seconds, then put it back in place. The method is suitable for users who know the device of the board.
- Contacts. Resetting the BIOS on a laptop can be done by shorting several contacts with something metallic, after removing the jumper. You can only do this with some models. Turn off the device, take a small screwdriver, short the two pins for a few seconds, then turn on the laptop.
- Battery. Find the battery that powers the motherboard. Turn off the laptop and unplug the power for fifteen minutes. Then replace the battery and rundevice.
- Button. Many motherboards have a reset button. The owner only needs to click on it.
What do you need
Resetting the BIOS password on a laptop is often required if the user has forgotten the old login password. Also, this procedure is necessary in the following cases:
- The maximum frequency settings have been set.
- If the laptop does not boot, and the reasons for this are unknown.
- Incorrect setting. Invalid parameters specified.
Reset will be required if the laptop constantly "hangs", does not turn on or turns off on its own. However, there can be many reasons for this behavior of the laptop, among them - overheating due to accumulated debris and the need to reinstall the operating system.
Configuring BIOS is no more difficult than resetting it. First, the user needs to open the settings window. It is easy to do this with the help of "hot" keys. However, remember that if the laptop works smoothly, boots up normally, does not turn off on its own, it is not recommended to open the BIOS and change the settings. After the main menu is open, use the arrows on the keyboard to change the system time (day, month, year). It is important that it is installed correctly. Resetting the BIOS on an Asus laptop, say, is practically no different from the procedure on models from other manufacturers, so in any case, the user should not have any problems. So, the main settings:
- Advanced tab. More oftenthere is no need to change anything there.
- The Security section allows you to configure the device's security system. If the laptop is intended for home use, it does not require modifications. Relevant for office PCs.
- The Boot section helps you change OS boot settings. If a CD-ROM drive is installed as a boot device, it will check this drive before starting the BIOS. If nothing is found, the start will occur from the hard drive. Experts advise changing Boot parameters. The settings depend on the motherboard. Place the cursor in front of the First Boot Device parameter, press Enter. When a new window appears, find the item Hard Disk (hard disk), confirm by pressing Enter. Next, select the Second Boot Device line and change the settings to CDROM. Then find Third Boot Device and put Disabled.
- To save the changed parameters, the user must click on the Exit section and save by pressing Enter.
There are other options in the BIOS that may require additional settings. For example, the "Information" section contains information about the current state of the laptop. Here are some other settings. The Main section contains the controls. Check the factory settings before making any changes. If you are not confident in your abilities, contact a specialist. It is better to use outside help to be safe.
In order to reset the BIOS on an Acer laptop or anothermodern model, it is recommended to reflash the software. The BIOS has its own firmware, which sometimes needs to be updated. The action helps to eliminate many problems associated with the software, as well as prevent their occurrence. Flashing is a procedure for advanced users. It is done through a utility that is usually included on the driver disk (supplied with the motherboard).