By default, in any version of the Windows operating system, the corresponding icon is installed on the shortcuts, which is located in the lower left corner. In general, it does not interfere with anything, but some users would like to get rid of it. To do this is not so simple as it might seem at first glance. This article will talk about how to remove the shortcut icon from the shortcut. We will offer you three ways at once.
How to remove the shortcut icon from the icon
It should be said that there are several methods of how to accomplish the task. Each one is very different from the other, so it's a good idea to review them all to find the best one for you.
Method 1: using Blank.ico
Often, in order to change some system elements, the user has to make changes to the registry, which is problematic for most users. Fortunately, a slightly different way has been devised to removeWindows 10/8/7 shortcut icon. It consists in using a special Blank.ico file and several registry files. So, let's proceed directly to the task:
- Follow this link to download the required archive:
- After the file is downloaded, unzip it.
- In the folder you will find three files. Copy Blank.ico to the Windows directory. It is located immediately on the system disk.
- Go back to the folder with the three files and double click on the RemoveArrow.reg file.
- In the window that appears, confirm your actions by clicking the "Yes" button.
- In the subsequent window, also click the "OK" button.
Shortcuts from desktop icons should disappear. If in the future you want to return them, run another file from the folder - RestoreArrow.reg, and the shortcuts will appear again.
Method 2: through the registry editor
The first way to remove shortcut icons in Windows 7/8/10 has been considered. In it, we just mentioned that this action is often carried out in the system registry. Accordingly, this method will now be considered. It is worth saying in advance that you perform all adjustments at your own peril and risk. If you are not sure what you are doing, it is better to use another method from this article.
So, in order to remove the shortcut icon from the shortcut, the first thing to do is launch the window of the registry editor itself. There is a universal and fast way like thisdo in different operating system versions:
- Use hotkeys by pressing Win+R.
- In the window that appears, enter the regedit command.
- Click on the "OK" button.
The window we need will appear. In it, you need to go to the Explorer directory, which is located along the following path:
Once you find the desired folder, right-click on it and select "Create" from the menu that appears. An additional list will appear in which you must select "Section". You will be asked to enter a name for the element to be created, enter Shell Icons. Please note: if the system says that such a partition already exists, this step should be skipped.
Go to the Shell Icons folder and create a new file in the workspace of the window. To do this, right-click on an empty space and select "Create String Value". When asked to enter a title, type "29".
Now you need to set a value for the created parameter. This is done quite simply. First, double-click on the file "29" with the mouse, then in the "Value" field, enter or paste the following expression:
It remains only to click the "OK" button, close the system registry window and restart the computer. This is the second way how to remove the shortcut icon from the shortcut. To put it mildly, it is quite laborious,so let's look at an easier way.
Method 3: using the registry file
Perhaps the easiest way to remove the shortcut icon from the shortcut is the third one. It consists in using the registry file. In fact, it just needs to be launched.
- Download the file from this link:
- Unzip the archive to any directory on your computer.
- Run the file RemoveArrow.reg.
- Confirm your actions by clicking "Yes" and "OK"
After that, you need to restart the computer - all shortcuts will disappear from the icons on the desktop.
How to remove the shield icon from the label
All ways to remove the shortcut icon have been considered. But if you work at a computer for a long time, you may have noticed that in addition to the shortcut icon, there is a shield icon on some files. It warns the user that administrator rights will be required to run the program. Accordingly, not all users like this "decor element" either. Fortunately, it can also be removed. There are three ways to do this.
Via Group Policy Editor
The first way to remove the shield icon from Windows 10/8/7 shortcuts is to change the local group policy settings.
To complete the task, do the following:
- Start "Control Panel".
- Go to the System and Security section.
- In the "Security and Maintenance Center" category, click the "Change Settings" link.
- A window will appear where you need to move the slider to the very bottom until the "Never notify" mark.
We've just turned off app launch confirmation notifications. After that, you can proceed directly to removing the shields from the icons:
- Open the "Run" window by pressing Win+R.
- Enter and execute the command gpedit.msc.
- In the window that appears, find the line "User Account Control: All administrators are running in Admin Approval Mode" and double-click on it.
- In the window that appears, set the switch to the "Disabled" position.
- Press OK.
After that, you will need to restart the computer so that all shields disappear from the shortcuts.
Via command line
There is a much easier way. It consists in entering a certain parameter on the command line. However, it is worth saying right away that a second user will appear in the system - the Administrator. And only if you log in under his account, all shields will disappear. If this method does not suit you, use the previous one.
- Open the Start menu.
- In the "All Programs" section, find the "System Tools" folder.
- In it, find "Command Prompt" and right-click on it.
- In the menu that appears, select "Run as administrator".
After that, the "Command line" window will open. Enter the following command into it:
net user Administrator /active:yes
After that press Enter. That's all, it remains only to restart the computer and log into the administrator account.
In the "Administrator" properties
Working on the command line is not convenient for everyone. Fortunately, the previous steps can be repeated using the GUI:
- Right click on the computer icon.
- Select "Control".
- In the window that appears, go to the "Local Users" section, and then to the "Users" folder.
- Right-click on "Administrator" and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.
- In the window of the same name, uncheck "Disable account".
Thus, you will perform all the steps from the previous method in the graphical interface. It remains only to restart the computer and log into the Administrator account so that the shield icons disappear from the shortcuts.