Click-to-Run - what is it? It is a Microsoft streaming and virtualization technology that reduces the time it takes to install Office and allows you to run multiple versions on a single PC. Allows you to download and use all Office applications before a full installation.
Click-to-Run - what is it? Work process definition and description
Click-to-Run uses Microsoft's virtualization and streaming technologies. It is an alternative to the classic installation and update method based on Windows Installer (MSI). If you're installing Office using MSI, you'll need to wait until the entire product is installed before you can start using it. But with Click-to-Run streaming capabilities, you can open and start using the product before the full installation is complete. While you are using the product, the rest of the software is downloaded in the background. If you try to use a feature that has not yet been downloaded and installed, Click-to-Runwill download and install it immediately.
Click-to-Run functionality - what is it? This is a feature that allows you to quickly install Microsoft products, including Office 2010, 2013, and 365.
Click-to-Run mode uses native App-V 5 technology to run Office in a sandboxed environment. This feature allows you to run multiple versions on the same computer. Since App-V 5 technology is built into Click-to-Run, it does not require licensing or full client installation.
Click-to-Run technology - what is it? Office Click-to-Run products use streaming technology, which is similar to watching a video on the Internet. You can watch the first part of the video before downloading the entire file. Similarly, you can start using Office 2010 before the entire package or product is downloaded.
Is it possible to uninstall Microsoft Click-to-Run?
Because Click-to-Run keeps Office up to date and is an essential component of the operating system, it is not recommended to remove it, but it can be disabled. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click "Start" and open "Control Panel".
Select Administrative Tools and go to Services (alternatively, type services.msc without quotes in the Start menu search box).
- In the Services window, find the Microsoft Office Click To Run service, right-click it, selectProperties.
- On the General tab, find Startup Type and select Disable. Click OK and restart your computer.
The above steps are for Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Click-to-Run Office 2010 Benefits:
- Fast - You can start using your Microsoft Office in 90 seconds after launch. For comparison: during this period of time, the MSI file will be able to download only 10% of the software product.
- Timely update download - click the "Start installation" button to activate the latest fixes and updates online. It will not interfere with the user's main work. An MSI update for an offline copy of Microsoft Office installed on a computer takes between one hour and 90 minutes.
Memory for "Run Installed Applications" takes up half the amount of memory compared to MSI.
Programs installed using Click To Run technology are fully restored from MSI releases.
Replacing Click-to-Run with MSI
To switch from Click-to-Run Office to MSI Edition, you must uninstall the Run Office edition and replace it with the MSI version. Algorithm:
- Open Programs and Features in Control Panel.
- Press Microsoft Office to launch OS.
- Activate the "Delete" button.
- Confirm the deletion request.
- Go to the Microsoft Office Alternative Launch page to activate the MSI installer.
- Go to My Account.
- Select Download.
- Click "More Options".
- Follow the onscreen instructions to start installing MSI.
Install the MSI version of Microsoft Office by running SingleImage.exe.
- Enter your product key when prompted.
Windows now checks for Office updates and installs them over time. You can use the same method to switch from MSI to Click-to-Run.
Please note that both types cannot be used at the same time.