Any digital storage medium, be it a regular flash drive or a hard drive, is not protected from failures in its work. It may happen that when you try to open folders or files, you get the "Disk access denied" error. An inexperienced user in such cases immediately despairs of restoring the device’s performance and runs to the wizard for help or simply buys a new drive. But it is not necessary to do so. This article will tell you how to fix the Disk Access Denied error in Windows 7. But it’s worth immediately clarifying that the instruction that will be provided below is not only suitable for the “seven”, it is also feasible in other versions of the operating system. systems from Microsoft.
How to solve "Disk Access Denied"
Before talking about ways to fix an error, you need to understand the reasons why it can happen. They areas follows:
- insufficient user rights;
- software failures;
- the drive is infected with a virus;
- drive is damaged.
If the first three reasons can be de alt with by some manipulations in the operating system, then nothing can be done if the drive itself malfunctions. In some cases, of course, you can take the device in for repair and hope for a repair.
Method 1: using standard OS tools
If an error occurs when trying to open a partition of the hard drive, "Access Denied" may appear due to a restriction of user rights. Moreover, most of the time this is the case. By the way, this happens not only with a solid state drive, but also with a regular flash drive. In this case, the problem can be solved without resorting to using third-party software, but directly using the tools of the OS itself.
First of all, you need to check disk access. This task can be completed as follows:
- Double click on "My Computer". If there is no such shortcut on the desktop, then open the Explorer file manager and go to the My Computer section on the left panel.
- A list of disk partitions and external drives will appear. Right-click on the desired one.
- In the menu that appears, select "Properties".
- A new window will appear where you need to go to the "Security" tab.
- Find the "Change" button in the window interface. It is located under the "Groups or users" list.
- View all options and see if there are any restrictions. If there are, then correct them.
- Click OK and close all windows.
This should help with the Disk Access Denied error. However, if you did not notice any restrictions or simply could not change them correctly, then you can use the second method:
- Open the system registry. Press Win + R and in the window that appears, run the command regedit.
- In the window that appears, you need to go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, then to SOFTWARE, then to WINDOWS, CURRENTVERSION and EXPLORER_MOUNTPOINTS2. There will be a folder with your drive letter. Go to it.
- You will find a directory called SHELL. It must be removed. This is done simply: select the folder and press the Delete key.
After that, it remains only to restart the computer. If the problem was that the virus replaced the files in this directory, then the error will disappear.
Method 2: Remove malware
It happens when you try to open an external drive "Access Denied" appears due to a virus hiding in the system. Moreover, this virus can be located both on the drive itself and on the hard drive of the computer, so it is recommended to check all sections of the computer with an antivirus. What software to use for this is up to you.
Method 3: Formatting anddata recovery
Sometimes, access problems arise due to some kind of system failure. In this case, the best option would be to format the drive. However, so that the data is not lost, it is better to restore it first. In the article, the R-Studio program will be used for such purposes.
- Launch the app.
- Select the drive you would like to recover from.
- Files suitable for recovery will appear on the right. Select the one you need and right-click on it.
- From the list of options that appears, select "Restore".
- In a new window, navigate to the folder where the files will be transferred.
- Click Yes.
After restoring all important data, you need to format the flash drive. This is done through the "Explorer".
- Open My Computer.
- Right click on the section.
- Select the "Format" option from the menu.
- In the window that appears, click "Start".
It remains only to wait for the formatting process to finish, after which the partition or drive should work properly.
So we figured out how to fix the "Disk Access Denied" error. As you can see, there are not so many reasons for its occurrence, respectively, and there are only three ways to eliminate it. It is recommended to attempt the solution one by one, following the methods in the article.