The popular Skype chat program after installation starts every time you turn on your computer. In most cases, users leave it enabled even when not in use. However, as you know, Skype is a rather resource-demanding program. This is very noticeable on weak configurations, which increase the startup time. Let's see how to turn off Skype while the PC is running and when it starts.
Ways to turn off while working with PC
So, if you do not want to work with the application at this time, but want to leave the autorun when you turn on the computer, you just need to close the program. As you know, when you click on the cross, the Skype window only minimizes to tray and is displayed as an icon on the taskbar. To completely disable Skype, you must do the following:
- Find the Skype icon on the taskbar.
- RMB click on it and select "Exit Skype" from the menu.
- In a few seconds, the messenger will completely close.
However some processes remain runningeven when the program is completely closed. You can turn them off through the "Task Manager":
- Call the dispatcher by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
- In the "Processes" tab, find the lines with the Skype icon, right-click on them and select "End task".
This way you can disable Skype by closing the process called skype.exe. If everything is simple with a simple shutdown of the messenger, then you can get rid of the autorun of the program in several ways.
How to disable Skype at startup?
So that the messenger does not increase the time it takes for the computer to turn on completely, you need to remove autorun. First, you can do this using standard application tools:
- Open the main Skype window.
- At the top, click on "Tools" and select "Settings" from the menu.
- In the "General settings" tab, find the item "Start Skype when Windows starts" and uncheck it.
- Click the "Save" button and close the settings window.
Now let's look at a method that uses the standard functionality of the Windows operating system:
- Open the Run window and type msconfig.
- Go to the "Startup" tab.
- In the list, find the item with the name Skype and uncheck it. Then click OK to save the settingsand close the window.
This option is suitable for Windows 7 and older operating systems. In the "eight" and "ten" the process looks a little different:
- Reopen "Task Manager" as described in the first instructions of this article.
- Go to the "Startup" tab.
- In the list of all programs, find Skype, right-click on it and select "Disable".
- Now close the "Task Manager" and restart your computer - the messenger will no longer slow down your PC!
And finally, the last way to disable autorun is third-party programs. One such utility is CCleaner. It can be downloaded for free from the official website of the developers.
After installation, run the utility and do the following:
- Go to the "Service" section.
- Now open the "Startup" subsection.
- Find Skype in the list of downloadable programs and click on the "Turn off" button on the right side of the window.
Changes will be saved automatically, so the next time you start your computer, you will no longer find the included messenger in the tray. Now you know how to turn off Skype when you start your computer.
Disable Skype auto-download on Mac
On computers running the Mac OS X operating system, the shutdown procedure is completely different from that presented for Windows. Consider it in more detail:
- Go to the Deck first.
- With the Ctrl key pressed, click on the Skype icon and uncheck the box next to "Run at login".
- Now Skype will not start when Mac OS starts.
Also on this platform there is the following way:
- Open the System Settings window.
- Go to the "Users and groups" tab, then select your account name.
- In the "Items launched at login" section, find Skype and remove it from the list.
How do I disable Skype for Business?
The ways to disable autoload for regular Skype and the business version are no different from each other. You can use the standard tools of your operating system or install third-party software such as CCleaner.
With the help of this instruction, you will significantly speed up the start of your computer or tablet on Windows. Skype messenger will no longer appear on the taskbar and bother you with its notifications.